DLI Summer 2022: Specifications Grading
Higher education faculty consistently search for new ways to harness their grading practices to support equitable outcomes and deep learning for all students. DTEI recognizes such teaching needs have increased especially after the pandemic, and identifies “Specifications Grading” as the theme for the 2022 DLI program. Specifications Grading is an alternative grading strategy that incorporates the concepts of mastery-based grading and assignment resubmission to support students in mastering their learning through practice. It encourages students to prioritize learning over grades and also invites them to participate in the process of determining what counts as acceptable evidence of learning. Sixteen UCI faculty have already successfully implemented specifications grading in teaching, and we hope you can join this faculty learning community to support student learning. UCI faculty in any fields including research faculty, teaching faculty, unit 18, and grad students scheduled to teach a course between Fall 2022 and Spring 2023 are welcome to join the 2022 Digital Learning Institute. Participants will receive a DLI 2022 Certificate by attending 4 of the 5 cohort meetings and two individual consultation sessions. Faculty will receive a Specifications Grading Certificate after teaching with components of specifications grading and encouraging their students to participate in the pre and post surveys.
Faculty from any discipline, including research faculty, teaching faculty, unit 18 faculty, and grad students scheduled to teach a course between Fall 2022 and Spring 2023, are welcome to join the 2022 DLI program.
Training Schedule: Monday and Thursday from 10 AM to 1 PM
- Online meeting: August 8, 2022
- On-site training: August 15, 18, 22, 25, and 29, 2022 (Lunch will be provided) → attend at least four of the five meetings to be certified
- Individual consultations (online or on-site) by appointment only
- Join the initial onboarding meeting online on August 8 at 10 AM or 2 PM
- Participate in the pre and post faculty survey
- Attend four of the five training sessions on August 15, 18, 22, 25 and 29 from 10 AM to 1PM in ALP 2500
Application Deadline: Monday August 1, 2022
DLI 2022 Certified Faculty
Faculty Presenters & Facilitators