Active learning Initiative
The DTEI Active Learning Initiative aims to discover and advance effective student-centered teaching practices at UCI. Active learning encompasses a broad range of teaching strategies that encourage students to engage with their learning in more effective and meaningful ways. These range from introducing small reflective activities into a lecture to more complex collaborative and inquiry-based learning.
Goals of the initiative:
- Support and engage with academic leaders at all levels who already leverage active learning
- Create opportunities for faculty, graduate students, and postdoctoral scholars to learn about, discuss, and practice active learning strategies
- Redesign campus learning spaces and adopt new technologies to better support and promote active and collaborative learning
- Expand use of learning assistants and explore additional strategies to provide direct support to faculty and students
- Design and conduct research studies that will advance our understanding of active learning and assess the effectiveness of our initiative