Our workshops provide opportunities for faculty, adjunct faculty, graduate students and postdocs to discuss best practices in teaching and learning. Some workshops, indicated by the module category, partially meet the requirements for the Certificate in Teaching Excellence. You will need to write a reflection on the workshop to apply workshop attendance towards the Certificate requirements.
Please note that the Course Design Certificate Program is offered multiple times a year.
The DTEI will also create a tailor-made workshop for a particular department, school, or instructional group. Contact DTEI to request a workshop (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Be the first to hear about upcoming workshops by joining our mailing list!
NOTE: If you have signed up for a workshop and are no longer able to attend, please let Ashley Hooper (email@example.com) as soon as you can. "No-shows" will be noted in any Pedagogical Fellows Program application.
Workshops at a Glance (Fall 2020)
The Division of Teaching Excellence and Innovation Fall 2020 Workshop Series is now open for registration. Please find the workshop series schedule and information below.
Click on the workshop links in the calendar below for more information. Workshops in bold partially satisfy the requirements for the Certificate in Teaching Excellence.
- Creating More interACTIVE Classes: Implementing Active Learning Instruction In Your Classes
- October 16th, 1:30pm-3pm
- In this workshop, participants will learn about active learning and different instructional strategies that they can use in their classrooms. Participants will learn practical activities that they can implement both virtually and face to face. Participants will also explore when to best use active learning in a lesson and why it is helpful for their students. ** This workshop partially meets the Active Learning requirement for the Certificate in Teaching Excellence.
- Zoom Fatigue? Ways to Spice Up the Virtual Classroom
- October 20th, 10:30am-12pm
- In this workshop, participants will learn about a variety of online instructional tools in Zoom as well as outside of Zoom and how to infuse these into their virtual classroom. We’ll explore ways to use Zoom breakout groups, Zoom polling, Kahoot!, mentimeter, Canvas peer review, and Google docs, in order to incorporate active learning activities throughout a virtual class or discussion section. By the end of the workshop, participants will 1) Practice using virtual tools to facilitate active learning activities, 2) Create a Kahoot! quiz and mentimeter slide, and 3) Identify where/when these tools and activities might be used effectively. ** This workshop partially meets the Instructional Technology requirement for the Certificate in Teaching Excellence.
- Promoting Diversity and Inclusion Inside and Outside the Classroom
- November 2nd, 12pm-1:30pm
- In this workshop, we will discuss the principles of diversity, inclusion, and equity. We will look at ways to incorporate diversity into teaching and build an inclusive classroom. We will also explore UCI’s diverse populations and campus resources to support diverse student needs. After this workshop, you should be better prepared to embrace and support diverse students inside and outside the classroom. ** This workshop partially meets the Diversity requirement for the Certificate in Teaching Excellence.