Our workshops provide opportunities for faculty, adjunct faculty, graduate students and postdocs to discuss best practices in teaching and learning. Some workshops, indicated by the module category, partially meet the requirements for the Certificate in Teaching Excellence. You will need to write a reflection on the workshop to apply workshop attendance towards the Certificate requirements.
Please note that the Course Design Certificate Program is offered multiple times a year.
The DTEI will also create a tailor-made workshop for a particular department, School, or instructional group. Contact the DTEI to request a workshop (email@example.com).
Be the first to hear about upcoming workshops by joining our mailing list!
NOTE: If you have signed up for a workshop and are no longer able to attend, please let Matthew Mahavongtrakul (firstname.lastname@example.org) as soon as you can. "No-shows" will be noted in any Pedagogical Fellows Program application.
Workshops at a Glance (2019-2020)
Here are our planned workshop offerings for the 2019-2020 academic year. Please note that these are subject to change and should only serve as a rough guide. Click on the workshop links in the calendar below for more information, including how to RSVP. Workshops in bold partially satisfy the requirements for the Certificate in Teaching Excellence.
- Active Learning: How to flip your class successfully and cover the same material
- Assessment: Bloom’s taxonomy: What is it and how should it factor into your assessment strategy
- Collaborative Learning: Strategies for effectively forming groups and implementing group assessment strategies
- Diversity: Approaching (dis)ability in designing lesson plans
- How People Learn: Creating an assessment mosaic to encourage spaced learning
- Instructional Technology: Don’t like using iClickers? Here are alternative ways to infuse instructional technology in your classroom (can overlap with the Active Learning requirement)
Spring 2020 (RSVP here)
- Course Design Certification Program
- Remote instruction check-in
- Active Learning: How to create and use teaching activities for more interactive learning
- Diversity: What should go into writing a diversity statement in addition to race and gender?
- Course Design Certification Program (early summer)
- Course Design Certification Program (late summer)